Thursday Photo Friday #6

September 18, 2008

in Architecture, Cheap Activities, Europe, Free Stuff, Italy, Photos, Travel, Web Tips

Most tourists tramping through Europe to conquer the must-see sights are likely surprised when they get to Pisa, Italy. With our singular focus on the tower (do you hear me, ladies?), many are caught unaware that it is part of a larger architectural ensemble and is in fact dwarfed by the huge cathedral and baptistry right next to it. Take it from the no-budget traveler: the cathedral is actually a far better investment of your tourist time and dollar! By all means, take the requisite photos holding up the Leaning Tower to show to Mom and Dad, but give yourself at least an hour to explore the intricacies and artwork of the lovely, massive cathedral.

I’ve visited hundreds of churches, but the inside of the Pisa Cathedral is a spectacular one worthy of the admission fee:

Glorious — heavenly, even! And you’ll appreciate the cool reprieve from the hot summer sun and the Africans hocking watches.

Follow (or join!) the Photo Friday trip around the globe by clicking here (starting Friday).

{ 1 trackback }

Thursday Photo Friday #12 « Less Than a Shoestring
11.20.08 at 8:31 pm

1 Donna 09.18.08 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’m embarrassed to say that I only spent a couple of hours in Pisa, en route to Cinque Terre, but the next time I’m in the area, I’ll definitely check out the cathedral!

2 Nomadic Matt 09.19.08 at 11:40 am

what is with all the photos lately?

3 Rob in Madrid 09.19.08 at 6:49 pm

“Africans hocking watches”

your not kidding.

I spent an afternoon there and was disappointedt. Too touristy. I didn’t even bother going up, left that to the family we were traveling with.

The wife did buy nice leather purse though.

4 Dominique 09.20.08 at 3:49 am

Your photo nicely captures the feeling you described in your post…a nice reprieve from the hustle, bustle and heat.

5 Mara 09.20.08 at 4:37 am

I was in Pisa as a child and have no memory of the cathedral at all! I know we were in it too. Now I wish I’d paid more attention. I love both the photo and your description.

I do remember walking up to the top of the tower with my mother and younger sister. There were no railings and it made my mom very nervous.

6 Debbie 09.21.08 at 3:32 am

Absolutely beautiful. We’ve skipped Pisa on every trip to Italy because I don’t enjoy crowds, but now I’m reconsidering…

7 john 09.24.08 at 11:50 am

Agreed–we skipped the tower and did the cathedral. We’ve seen many european masterpieces and this ranks near the top. And cheaper than the tower!

8 pam 09.29.08 at 3:24 am

It’s been a while since I found myself walking around inside that cathedral, but I remember what a great break it was from the crowds outside and the piles and piles and piles of Leaning Tower souvenirs.

I LIKE Pisa, the tower included, even though it’s touristy as hell, it’s fun to get into the silliness of it.